Photo credit and original recipe posted at: http://www.the-farmersdaughter.com/blog/2015/8/1/blueberry-basil-doughnuts/
Blueberry Basil Doughnuts
100% all natural combination of blueberries & basil!
- 1/4 cup Hot water
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp Yeast
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup White sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Shortening
- 3 cups Flour
Blueberry Basil Glaze
- 1 cup Blueberries (Fresh is great, but frozen will work as well)
- 1 tbsp Fresh basil Finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Half & Half (or milk is fine)
- 3 cups Icing sugar
- In a small bowl, mix together hot water, sugar, and yeast set aside for about 10 minutes until nice and frothy
- In a large bowl, whisk together yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, egg and shortening.
- Slowly whisk in 1 1/2 cups of flour.
- Gradually add in remaining flour (1 1/2 cups), half a cup at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon (or you can use your mixer and a dough hook) until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. *You may not need to use all of your flour!
- Knead by hand for about 5 minutes, or until your dough is nice and smooth.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover with a clean dish towel, and place somewhere warm to rise until it has doubled in size (about half an hour).
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface, and use a rolling pin to gently roll it out to about 1/2″ thickness.
- Cut with a doughnut cutter (or you can use two round cookie cutters, one large and one small). Cover all doughnuts with the towel again, and let rise until doubled.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or a large electric skillet to 350 degrees (you can use a large, deep skillet on your stove, but it’s harder to control the temperature of your oil safely).
- Very carefully, place your doughnuts into the hot oil. Fry doughnuts on each side until they are a very light brown.
- Remove doughnuts from hot oil, and place on a cookie sheet lined with paper towel.
- Repeat until all the dough has been used, including the leftover doughnut holes from the middle of the doughnuts!
- Dip doughnuts in glaze, and serve!
Blueberry Basil Glaze
- Add your blueberries, basil, and half and half together in a blender and puree.
- Once your mixture is smooth, transfer it to a bowl and slowly whisk in the icing sugar until smooth. To adjust the thickness, just add a tiny bit of half and half or icing sugar.
- Dip fresh doughnuts in the glaze, and serve!